I spotted this so called miracle oil in Pick N Pay Riverwalk and couldn’t resist because of the following sentence that was written on the bottle: elixir with argan oil. That’s all they needed to say frankly, I’m easily intrigued!
The oil comes in a little 50ml bottle with a pipette attached to the bottle cap. The ingredients are:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Dimethicone (a form of silicone), Cyclohexasiloxane, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (this is the actual argan oil) ,Tocopherol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer,Lycopene, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl alcohol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool.
Quite a mouthful! Now of course it is not pure argan oil, it is a mixture of various chemicals one of which is argan oil. Some reviewers online refer to it as the “budget” Morrocan oil, charming.
The product also claims to be:
- High in Vitamin E.
- Rich in anti oxidants to help fight against free radicals.
- Hydrating and deeply conditioning.
and states it will:
- intensely condition & help repair dry or frizzy hair
- leave hair smooth & silky soft
- add shine
- reduce damage caused by blow drying
According to the directions on the bottle, the oil is to be applied to clean towel dried hair (which is essentially damp hair) and only a few drops are to be used. It also says the oil should only be used on the length of the hair and the ends, not the scalp. I’m assuming since this is a concentrate, it could burn or badly affect your scalp in some way if applied directly to the scalp without dilution.
- It really does work when applied as directed! I mixed some with my moisturizer and applied it on my damp hair after washing and followed with sealing as usual. I noticed that my hair was much softer than usual when I let down my twists the next day.
- It is reasonably priced though when you’re purchasing it, it may seem too expensive however because you tend not to use more than a few drops a week, you’ll get a lot of mileage out of that 50ml bottle.
- Pleasant sweet scent
- The pipette is more annoying than useful, they should consider changing the design of the bottle
- Of course due to my hair type, no shine can be expected.
- Being that my hair is quite thirsty, 1 or 2 drops is a drop in the ocean for me so I have to use more to get the desired effect. However mixing it with my moisturizer makes distribution much easier since I moisturize my hair in sections.
Would I buy it again? Maybe. It has been a great addition to my sprays and moisturizers but I don’t think it’s essential for me to have as it’s not the pure form of the oil. It’s the oil I will buy if I have some spare change. But it definitely delivers as fast as making hair soft is concerned. Overall a decent product.