So we are well into the new year and I have also just turned a year older today so what better time to sit and reflect on life and of course, my hair?
My hair’s just past the two year mark and my healthy hair journey began about a year and a half ago I think. I’ve made progress but at the same time there’s still a long way to go. It’s been tough keeping up with this 4C head of mine (4c type hair is very kinky coily hair). I think it’s the most frustrating type of hair to have especially when it is at the awkward length between short and shoulder length. I am just getting out of that phase. It has definitely taught me how to be patient!
I have been tempted to just give up at times and flirt with the idea of chopping it all off often but when I do a twist out and hear the compliments I can’t bring myself to give up on the fro. It’s nowhere near perfect but I love it still.
So here are my hair goals or plans for 2013.
- Hairline woes: The reason for my big chop 2 years back was to save my hair line. It was receding a little and after a while of trying remedies that didn’t work, I put the creamy crack down and tried a new route. I also recently began regularly using castor oil for my hairline and slowly but surely it is growing back. This year I’ll continue with that daily routine and hopefully by years end we will be back to normal! I also want to increase my hair’s thickness so I will start applying castor oil to my scalp as well and see if that helps.
- Length Retention: This has become my biggest concern after hairline recovery, after all, we females all (well most of us anyway) desire that long hurr! I’m not an exception! However I do understand that health comes first and if your hair is healthy, it will retain length. I have been putting in work to get my hair healthy and it has grown though not at the speed I would have loved it to (does it ever?). Regardless I am pleased with the progress I have made so far. I’ve trimmed it when necessary, stayed away from heat and maintain my weekly wash and deep condition routine. I have tentatively used protective styling, was still being careful with my hairline but this year I think I can kick it up a notch. So more protective styling and continued care for my hair and hopefully Ill get my back hair to shoulder length and the front hair to chin length by the end of the year.
- Product struggles: Due to the lack of products intended for natural hair here in Botswana 2012 has been a very experimental year in terms of finding products that work. Usually every time I finally find one, it goes out of stock after a while then a replacement has to be found. I have found regulars though, aloe vera juice, shea butter, coconut oil and JO’M products when they are available. When choosing products price, how it affects my hair and availability are my biggest concerns. On the shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer front I’m still unsettled but hope to find something suitable soon so the struggle continues!
- Research research research! I think I could do a lot more in the research department concerning hair care which would benefit me and my blog and hopefully my readers. So I will put more time into reading about hair care, hair care methods and products. With the lack of natural hair products here it may be a good idea to try making more at home with ingredients that are cheap and easily found.
- Adjusting the routine: There are many little things I don’t do regularly that I could to increase my hair’s health e.g pre-pooing, co-washing etc. So I will see if my hair care routine needs adjusting and document it as I go along.
And of course I shall have fun with it all! I love my hair and I think it deserves the best! As yours does too.
So here’s to a year of fabulous hair! 🙂